Under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the City Engineer is responsible for overseeing the operations, activities, performance and budgeting of the following departments: Engineering including Construction, Design and Infrastructure, Development and Transportation; Operations including Public Works, Fleet, Water Pollution Control Centre, Environmental Services; and Transit.
The City Engineer will assist the CAO in other assigned activities and contributes as an integral member of the Senior Management Team.
Efforts are principally concentrated on providing strategic leadership and ensuring sound practices relating to the provision of services throughout the City consistent with the City’s vision and values. A complete job description is available from the Human Resources Department.
A degree in Engineering or a related discipline or equivalency, a Registered Professional Engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario and a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a senior municipal capacity to gain operational and technical knowledge.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to design, develop and implement strategic and operational business plans and best practices
- Superior leadership skills with the ability to motivate, influence, mentor and work collaboratively in a complex environment
- Strategic and innovative thinker
- Excellent presentation, negotiation and facilitation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and active listening skills
- Ability to build relationships of trust and respect with council, management, employees and bargaining units
- Understanding of financial acumen with a proven track record of delivering results
- Competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1990
- Valid G class driver’s license with an acceptable abstract
Closing Date: This posting will remain active until the vacancy is filled.
Salary Range: $115,915.80 - $144,890 per annum (January 2016 rates)
The City of Sarnia offers competitive compensation, extended health and dental benefits, and enrollment in OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence to email@example.com indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required under the City of Sarnia’s Employment Accommodation Policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Personal information is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.
This page was reviewed or revised on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 3:15 PM